Overdose Prevention and Response
Overdose Prevention and Response
The United States is in the midst of an epidemic of opiate overdose and addiction. Overdose deaths from prescription painkillers have quadrupled since 1999, and deaths from heroin have tripled in the last five years. Pennsylvania has a higher overdose rate than most states. In Pennsylvania and around the country, opiate addiction affects men and women of all ages, races and geographic locations. Anyone can become addicted. BCDAC, Inc. stands ready to provide education, support and resources so that together, we can reduce the prescription medication and heroin epidemic.
We Need Your Help!
- Download Overdose Prevention Toolkit materials, which include a variety of resources to help spread awareness and to educate others about medication misuse, abuse and addiction. Please review the materials and use those most relevant to your family, community, agency, etc.
- We encourage you to display and distribute these resources wherever you can at your place of work or in your community. Materials can be posted on websites, linked to social media and printed in waiting areas and on bulletin boards.
- Use the #BucksBringsHope to share your efforts and whenever you see these materials in Bucks County! We will share your postings in an effort to raise community awareness.
- Naloxone/Narcan - NARCAN® (naloxone HCl) Nasal Spray is the first FDA-approved nasal form of naloxone for the emergency treatment of a known or suspected opioid overdose. Click here for more information.
- Bucks County Prevention Champions - These Prevention Champions were honored during National Prevention Week (NPW) 2019 for their inspiring work in Bucks County!
- BCARES - Help for Overdose Survivors - Bucks County Connect. Assess. Refer. Engage. Support.(BCARES) is a warm handoff collaboration between the hospital’s emergency department and an assigned Certified Recovery Specialist (CRS) for individuals who have survived an opioid overdose. Through BCARES, individuals are directly connected to treatment and recovery support services. Complete information can be found here.
- Community Narcan Trainings - Bucks County residents: attend this free community session and learn about the signs and symptoms of an overdose, the resources that are available in our community and how to use Narcan. Click here to view details.
- Family Preparedness - Do you have a family member who takes either prescribed or illicit opiates? Be prepared; have a family plan in case of overdose. Help save a life. Details can be found here.
- Good Samaritan Law (Act 139) - Through the Good Samaritan provision of Act 139, friends and loved ones are encouraged to call 911 for emergency medical services in the event an overdose is witnessed. Click here for more information.
- Medication Storage and Disposal - BCDAC, Inc. encourages the safe storage and disposal of medications in your home. Details about safe storage and disposal can be found here.
- What are Opioids? - Opioids are a class of drugs that include the illegal drug heroin, synthetic opioids such as fentanyl, and pain relievers available legally by prescription, such as oxycodone (OxyContin®), hydrocodone (Vicodin®), codeine, morphine and many others. Click here to learn more.