Alerts and Bulletins
ASAM Guidance [modified 3/15/19]
The ASAM “Guidance on Treatment Plan Updates, Continued Stay Reviews, Transfer/Discharge, and Authorizations” that was distributed on February 28 has been replaced with a new, edited version.
Please view the new document on the ASAM page of our website. Questions about the ASAM Transition? Email RA-DAASAM@pa.gov.
ASAM Guidance Update [modified 3/11/19]
Attached is “Guidance on Treatment Plan Updates, Continued Stay Reviews, Transfer/Discharge and Authorizations.”
This guidance is in addition to previously issued direction on application of the ASAM Criteria. Please direct any questions to RA-DAASAM@pa.gov.
ASAM LOC Designation Process [modified 2/25/19]
Deputy Secretaries Ellen DiDomenico and Lynn Kovich released a memo regarding the ASAM LOC Designation process.
Note: This process was meant to include only those licensed facilities providing residential/inpatient treatment services. Providers of detoxification/withdrawal management services only were not to have been part of this process.
ASAM Transition Update [modified 12/31/18]
Below is an update on the ASAM transition:
- Pennsylvania will be fully transitioning to The ASAM Criteria for admission Level of Care Determination as of January 1, 2019.
- Any new admissions to a level of care should be determined based upon The ASAM Criteria.
- No admissions to a level of care should be processed in PA WITs utilizing the PCPC as of January 1, 2019.
- If the PCPC was used for an individual already in treatment prior to December 31, 2018, any transition to another level of care within the continuum of a treatment episode (i.e., transfer, continued stay or discharge) should occur using the ASAM Criteria.
- Watch the DDAP website (ddap.pa.gov) for the latest ASAM updates.
Questions regarding the ASAM transition may be submitted to RA-DAASAM@pa.gov.
ASAM Update [modified 11/28/18]
- DDAP and DHS are currently analyzing the data received from residential providers in order to designate 3.5, 3.7 levels of care (LOC). Correspondence will be sent to the providers and once LOCs have been confirmed with the providers, we will make the determinations accessible to payers.
- Considerations for ongoing ASAM Criteria training are underway. DDAP will relay this information to providers as soon as a plan has been solidified.
- DDAP has received several suggestions for the ASAM Guidance Document which are currently under review. Careful consideration is being given to these suggestions to determine those that have a notable impact to the delivery of care and those which are primarily found within the ASAM Text itself or are wording preferences. Any modifications to the document will be put forth, likely at the beginning of the new year.
- Planning is occurring on service definitions regarding staffing and hours of delivery. Watch for additional information on this. In the meantime, please conduct business as usual.
- DDAP and DHS are working collaboratively to reinitiate the discussions and efforts around provision of services for co-occurring disorders. We will keep the field abreast of any updates as they become available.
- Lastly, please be reminded that DDAP has an open line of communication regarding the transition to the ASAM Criteria. You may contact the department at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FFY 2019 Substance Abuse Block Grant [modified 9/19/18]
The Federal Fiscal Year 2019 State Behavioral Health Assessment and Plan Mini-Application is available for viewing at https://bgas.samhsa.gov, the site utilited for completion and submission of information to receive block grant funding. To access the various components of the application, log in as "citizenpa" and use "citizen" as your password. Comments about the plan can be made: https://www.ddap.pa.gov/Pages/Contact_Request_Form.aspx
DDAP ASAM Listening Session Update [modified 7/20/18]
DDAP has made available the following updated information regarding the ASAM transition to its website: a PowerPoint presented during the ASAM Listening Sessions an ASAM Application FAQ. This FAQ includes questions presented during the 3 Listening Sessions as well as questions generated at a representative number of ASAM 2-day Skill Building trainings and provides answers to questions specifically about applying the ASAM to Pennsylvania’s SUD treatment system.
ASAM Transition Update [modified 5/22/2018]
Click here to read an update on the ASAM transition.
ASAM Transition Timeline [modified 3/27/2018]
Read the latest timeline for Pennsylvania's transition to the ASAM Criteria, which includes activities to date, goals, and objectives.
February 2018 ASAM Transition Update [modified 2/27/2018]
Please see the attached PDF for an update on Pennsylvania's transition to the ASAM Criteria.