get naloxone mailed to you
Physical distancing and isolation due to the COVID-19 Pandemic Crisis has resulted in some new challenges in respect to people using alone or isolated in their homes. That’s where Prevention Point Pittsburgh's mail-based Narcan program comes in. Anyone in Pennsylvania can sign up online and have the medication delivered directly to their homes.
- To qualify for mail-based Naloxone distribution, you will need to view a training video, answer a short quiz, and provide enrollment information.
- Please note that NEXT is a community-based distributor and does not interact with health insurance in any way; for that reason, the enrollment form is not HIPAA compliant. If you would prefer a secure platform, consider Script Health.
- Opioid overdose prevention and response trainings can vary, and in some cases cover the topic extensively. We encourage you to visit NEXT Naloxone's educational resources page to learn more about rescue breathing, the recovery position, opioid overdose aftercare and a host of other valuable topics.
- The training video, quiz and enrollment are available in both English and Spanish.
What is Narcan?
NARCAN® (Naloxone HCl) Nasal Spray is the first FDA-approved nasal form of naloxone for the emergency treatment of a known or suspected opioid overdose. NARCAN® Nasal Spray counteracts the life-threatening effects of opioid overdose. Since most accidental overdoses occur in a home setting, it was developed for first responders, as well as family, friends and caregivers.
I’m a Bucks County resident -
how can I obtain Narcan through BCDAC, Inc.?
At the direction of our Board of Directors, BCDAC, Inc. has prioritized the accessibility of Narcan to agencies, school districts, first responders and community residents in Bucks County. As the recently appointed Central Coordinating Entity (CCE) in Bucks County, BCDAC, Inc. is the go-to agency for Narcan distribution to first responders, as well as data collection.
BCDAC, Inc. is currently not offering walk-in hours for Narcan. Community members do have a few options:
Anyone in Pennsylvania can sign up online and have Narcan delivered directly to their homes using Prevention Point Pittsburgh’s mail-based service system. End Overdose Together also offers online trainings and mail-to-home Narcan.
Additionally, any Pennsylvania resident is able to access Narcan through their local pharmacy due to PA Act 139. Please consider the following information:
- Call ahead to your pharmacy to ensure they have Naloxone/Narcan in stock.
- Decide whether you’ll use your insurance to obtain Naloxone. Most insurance plans will cover this medication, but co-pays can vary depending on insurance and product type.
- Ask the Pharmacist to provide instruction and ask questions.
Narcan Utilization questionnaire (NUQ)Please complete this Narcan Utilization Questionnaire (NUQ) if you administer Narcan in the event of an overdose. Replacement doses are available while supplies last.